Careers and Where to Find Them is to help future designers out there minimize searching, to focus on starting your new career and build your portfolio. This page has title, description, salary, references, and links to see if this career is right for you.
Job Title: Assistant Fashion Designer
Description: Fashion design assistants support designers by helping them create new materials, styles, colors, and patterns for fashion brands and labels.
To be a fashion design assistant you should have:
- Must have creative flair, and an eye for pattern and color
- The ability to organize and prioritize your work
- Good time-management skills
- The ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective presentation skills
- Commercial awareness and knowledge of the current market
- A good understanding of garment construction and costing
- The ability to work well on your own, and in a team
- Good negotiation skills for working with customers and suppliers
- Confidence and self-motivation.
- A level 3 Certificate in Fashion
- Diploma in Fashion and Clothing/ level 3 certificate
- Diploma in Fashion and Textiles/ certificate level 3
- Textiles Diploma/ certificate level 3
With experience, you can move up to fashion designer, senior designer or fashion director. You can have a more creative range and manage your own team. Assistant fashion Designers have an option of freelance designing working on an individual project or become self-employed working on their own collections.
Geographical Location: You will find most opportunities in London and in other cities associated with clothing and textiles, such as Leicester, Manchester, Nottingham, and Leeds.
Salary: Starting salary estimates to £14,000 to £19,000, with experience: £23,000